Thursday, June 25, 2015

On Being Locked Inside of My House


Yesterday my friend locked her keys in her car.

Apparently, I decided to one up her this morning and lock myself in my house.

Yes--as I type this, I am currently locked inside of my house.

How the heck does this happen? Let me explain.

Our house is very old. We've been having problems with the doors, but have always managed to get it open in the end. Today, that luck ran out. I went to open the door and it wouldn't. The locks were unlocked and the door still wouldn't move.

Upon closer inspection, I found the problem. The little bar thingy that's supposed to go inside the door when you turn the knob wasn't going inside the door.


Okay. I'm a capable woman. I just fixed our bikes the other day; I can fix this too.

I unscrew the doorknob off the door. I hear the other half of it fall onto the ground outside and I take off the inside half. I try my best from this position to get that little bar inside the door, but it still won't move!

Finally, I gave up. I called the renters and they sent someone over to pry off the lock, promising they'd send a handyman along later. So now I can get out of the house, there's just a big hole in my front door.

Gotta love livin' in an old house!

No comments:

Post a Comment