Wednesday, June 24, 2015

A Bike Ride with Jessica and FHE with Bugs at Utah Lake

If you haven't caught on, I'm using some of the extreme amount of free time on my hands to chronicle every bit of my life. It's being fun, and I doubt I'll ever have time like this to do something like this again, so I'm goin' for it!

Yesterday was Tuesday, Jessica and Jon's day off! Unfortunately, Jon had to cover for someone, so he had to miss out on the daytime fun. Jessica and I had tons of fun though riding our bikes along the Provo River Trail up to Bridal Veil Falls and back! I was really excited because I'd spent the morning tuning our bikes, so I thought everything would be perfect! Well, in order for that to be the case I would have had to tune the bikes perfectly, which I didn't. Therefore, the handlebars on one of the bikes got flipped the wrong way shortly into the ride and wouldn't move back and the gears on one of the bikes didn't work well and the handlebars on one were too short and the tires weren't as full as I'd like them to be.

Therefore, rather than perfect, it was interesting.

But 20 miles later, we'd done it!


Later that evening, Jon joined us for FHE (which was a day late). I was in charge and I had this wonderful idea. This was the plan:

Make our way to Utah Lake right as it gets dark. Talk about the story of The Brother of Jared from The Book of Mormon. Then, because that story has glowing rocks, we'll splatted rocks on the lake shore with glowstick gunk and then skip them across the lake, watching the glow jump it's way across the water.

It would have been great, except then we got there and HOLY BUGS!!! I've never seen so many bugs all in the same place at once. They literally peppered the sky and filled the air with the constant sound of their buzzing. Loudly.

I've been to Utah Lake at night before, and this had never been a problem, so needless to say, this was a surprise.

We tried talking about The Brother of Jared, but Jon and Jessica were hopping around like rabbits and so we decided to try moving somewhere else where the bugs didn't qualify as a new form of air pollution. This new spot had less bugs, and so we tried cutting open some glowsticks, pouring them in a bag, and then shaking some rocks around inside of it. The problem now, however, was that instead of having bugs congest the sky, this new area had mosquitoes, and mosquitoes really, REALLY like my blood for some reason.

Jon was suddenly as happy as could be because he was skipping rocks and thinking he was cool for how many times they bounced, and Jessica was enjoying watching him. I, on the other hand was hitting myself obsessively to try and kill the mosquitoes that were raiding my body. I would hit three on my left leg (I was wearing capris) and then four on my right leg and then four on my left arm (short sleeves) and then five on my right arm only to look back to my left leg and find five more already there again! And I'm not dramatically exaggerating here! (My leg is itching in memory as I write this!)


I tried staying, because Jon kept wanting me to watch him be really cool and skip a rock a ton of times, but I failed to watch him skip nearly every rock because I was too distracted with hitting myself. Finally, after about five minutes, I just turned around and left. It was not worth it. Plus, the glowing rocks didn't even glow as they bounced across the water like the internet said they would. Lame!

Today, my legs look like they're recovering from chicken pox.

No comments:

Post a Comment