Monday, May 6, 2013

My Role Models

Yesterday in the CES fireside Elder Walker talked about looking-up to the prophet as a role model. As I was listening to him, I wrote in my notebook: "Who are my role models? How can I keep them in my life so that I remember to look-up to them?" In thinking about this, and in thinking about how to just keep myself thinking about the things I should be thinking about in general, I realized that one of the best ways for me to stay focused on the things I should be focused on is by sharing my thoughts about those things with those around me. That comes through talking and writing about them. So today, I want to share with all of you some of the role models I have in my life in an attempt to help myself think about them more and to keep them in view. I hope that it will encourage you to think about who you look-up to in your life and how you can strive to be more like them.


My Parents
My parents are some of the best people I know. They're not perfect besides being perfectly human, but I suppose that's one of the reasons why they're such good examples to me--they are still amazing people even though they have made mistakes. I look-up to my parents for the example they have set. They are both hard workers. They are both faithful church members. They both strive diligently to fulfill their callings. They are fun. People are drawn to them because they feel their genuine love and care. They always strive to do what is right, no matter the consequences. I love my parents not only for what they have done to give me a good life, but for who they are. I admire them so much and hope that I can always strive to be worthy to be called their daughter.

President Thomas S. Monson


For the majority of Elder Walker's fireside, he talked about looking to President Monson as a role model. This is something that I have striven to do in the past, and hope that I can take the things Elder Walker talked about to follow him even more. I love President Monson for his genuine love and care for others. President Monson has the gift of seeing other people they way God sees them, loving and valuing them for being the divinely amazing people that they are, and treating them in a way that they know and feel of his love ("his" being both the Savior's and President Monson's). I love the stories of President Monson being late to meetings because he was helping someone. I love how he is so in-tune with the spirit and is always willing to drop everything to run an errand for the Lord. His priorities are exactly where the Lord needs them to be. President Monson realizes that the important things in life are not career achievements, always being on-top of your game, or receiving attention and praise. He knows that the most important things in life are the Lord and the Lord's children. I don't know this because I've talked to him about it or because of things he's said over the pulpit, I know this because he lives his life in line with these priorities--he lives his life for those around him and for the Lord. I want to be like President Monson in my love and service to others. Like President Monson, I never want "a problem to solve [to] become more important than a person to be loved." I also "always want the Lord to know that if He needs an errand run, [Lindsey Rogers] will run that errand for Him."

President Gordon B. Hinckley

I am guilty of having a special place in my heart for the prophet of my youth. It hasn't been until the past so many ways! I love President Hinckley for his optimism and for his hard-working/go get 'em attitude. President Hinckley always talked about being happy, about looking at things on the bright side. I love the story he tells about what happened when he was having a hard time on his mission. He wrote home complaining and his dad didn't sympathize or feel bad for him. He merely replied: "Dear Gordon, I have your recent letter. I have only one suggestion: forget yourself and go to work." And he did! I cannot express to you how much I admire and appreciate and love his example of not feeling sorry for himself. Instead of sitting around and mopping (like I feel many of us are prone to do) he got up and fixed his problems by focusing on others and on doing the Lord's work. He realized the value of time and the work that the Lord had for him to do and he did it. He lived each day with such conviction and purpose and determination. I love that and want that in my own life so much!
couple of years, however, after his death that I have come to love and admire President Hinckley for the person he was and for the things he taught. I desire to be like President Hinckley in

Another one of my favorite stories about President Hinckley was told to me by my coworker. My coworker's father is a member of the 70 and as such, my friend has stories about the general authorities. One story he told me was about President Hinckley going to a stake to take care of some business in the area. The activities for the day were supposed to start at 7am Saturday morning. The stake president of the area thought it a good idea for him to get to the stake center at 6am Saturday so that he could insure that everything was in order by the time President Hinckley go there at 7. The stake president, as planned, arrived at the stake center at 6am. Fifteen minutes later, not as planned, President Hinckley showed up. He walked in the door and said: "Okay--we ready to go?" The someone shocked stake president--who I'm sure was grateful he'd decided to show up an hour early--nodded and they dived in and got to work. I love this story--that an old man was up and ready to go at by 6:15am when most of us complain about having to wake-up for 8 o' clock classes! President Hinckley didn't complain or make excuses. He woke up every day just excited and ready and determined to do the Lord's work.

Not only was he diligent in doing the Lord's work, but he chose to be happy while doing it. I have a book by President Hinckley of daily quotes that I stole from my mom when I came to college (sorry mom!) So frequently, the thought of the day focuses on being happy and positive. In one BYU devotional he said: "I come this morning with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that we 'accentuate the positive.'" President Hinckley was a happy person because he chose to be. He saw the good in things. He loved life.

I could keep talking about him for a whole additional hour or so--about the respect and devotion he showed to his wife, about his sense of humor, about so many things--but I think I have covered the important parts. One of my greatest desires has been put no better way than the way that President Hinckley put it: "I wish to be up and doing. I wish to face each day with resolution and purpose. I wish to use every waking hour to give encouragement, to bless those whose burdens are heavy, to build faith and strength of testimony." I want to live my life with all the determination and purpose and conviction and selflessness and optimism that President Hinckley had.


Emma Smith
I love what Lucy Mack Smith, mother of the prophet Joseph Smith, said about her daughter-in-law Emma: "I have never seen a woman in my life, who would endure every species of fatigue and hardship, from month to month, and from year to year, with that unflinching courage, zeal, and patience, which she has ever done; for I know that which she has had to endure--she has been tossed upon the ocean of uncertainty--she has breasted the storms of persecution, and buffeted the rage of men and devils, which would have borne down almost any other woman." For me, Emma Smith represents the women of the church. She possessed the dedication and faith and strength that I believe all women should strive for. She was so faithful to her husband and to the Lord and was tested and tried beyond anything that I think most of us will ever be asked to endure. She left her family in order to marry Joseph and to follow the Lord. She sacrificed every comfort and was driven from place to place and yet always remained faithful to Joseph. She had people relying on her constantly and she remained strong in order to hold them up. She was the first president of the Relief Society organization and truly lived, before it even became the society's motto, the idea that "Charity Never Faileth." She had to endure losing many children, many friends, and then ultimately she had to endure losing her husband. For those who doubt Emma's testimony or faithfulness for not following the saints after the death of her husband should know that her testimony never faltered and that days before she died she had a vision wherein Joseph showed her their mansion in heaven, promised that she would have all her children that she lost in life back, and wherein she saw the Savior. Emma was strong and good and faithful to the end, and the Lord knew it. I love Emma for all she did and gave for our church, for the example she set, and for the lives she saved. She is truly was, and is, an elect lady.
I love this song and video about Emma

Jesus Christ
There's a lot I could say (understatement) about why Jesus Christ is the ultimate and perfect role model. Rather than write about it all though, in honor of the beautiful art show I went to in the bookstore this past week, I'm going to show you why He is the person I strive to come closer to and be more like in every way every day. 









No comments:

Post a Comment