Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Ultimate Friend

“A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” -William Shakespeare

"And again I say unto you, my friends, for from henceforth I shall call you friends, it is expedient that I give unto you this commandment, that ye become even as my friends in days when I was with them, traveling to preach the gospel in my power." -D&C 84:77

I got this quote today in my email and couldn't help but connect it to a scripture we've been studying in my D&C class. Don't Shakespeare's words perfectly describe the Savior? There is no one in the world who better understands who we are, where we have been, accepts what we have become, and still, gently allows us to grow. There's only one part Shakespeare missed. The Savior not only allows us to grow, He is there, helping us grow every step of the way. He, being the source of all that's good, is the reason why we are able to grow. Without Him, all growth would been nothing more than a mocking gesture towards what might have been. Yes--He is the reason, the way, the hope and the light; the ultimate friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment