Wednesday, April 3, 2013

General Conference

(D&C 124:22-55; 125; 127; 128:1-18)
“What can we do better than to show respect to our God by listening to His servant, by treating him with reverence, asking his counsel and seeking for his guidance? I know we pray to God for him, that he may be inspired from on high. Do you believe your prayers? Do you believe that God will and does inspire him? I hope you do; and I hope that having this feeling, you will be prompted to different action. … And shall we say that in some things we are willing to be guided; we think it right to be guided in matters of doctrine, etc.; but in other matters, just as important and necessary for the salvation and preservation of this people, we are not willing? Latter-day Saints, you cannot do it. You cannot get away from this authority and remain Latter-day Saints, for you sever yourselves from the Church of God, because everything you have is based on the recognition of this authority.” –George Q. Cannon

With General Conference approaching, I thought this quote that I read in my D&C manual to be especially applicable to my life right now. As the time draws nearer, we all need to ask ourselves if we believe that the words that will be spoken on Saturday and Sunday are true. I have come to realize over the past few months that I do a lot of asking and pleading for answers and not as much searching for them. Most of the answers we need are there. Though spoken to the multitude of millions, the words of God's living prophets and apostles are meant for the individual. It takes work and effort on our part--we must prepare ourselves with humble hearts to receive the word and His spirit, and then we must return to those words again and again, searching for the answers. Then, finally, the answers will come. The Lord has not left us alone in these latter days. I'm excited to listen to a prophet's voice this weekend so that I can know the will of the Lord regarding what He needs me to do with my life. It's kina' a cool thing to think that we have such easy access to knowing the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment