Sunday, July 22, 2012

Awesome Backpacking Letters

Dear Backpacking Trip, You are always one of my favoritest parts of the year. Not only do you help me feel like a beast, but you give me time to get away from the world and to spend time with my family. Thanks for the memories.

Kate and I eating ice cream on the way home!
Dear Kate, Thank you for creating a memory that will last for years. I'm sure that from now on, every time we go backpacking we will recall watching you throw your pack on the ground, insist that you're no longer coming, and then run away. Five minutes into the trip. I'm glad that things got better, though, and that you did make it the whole way with us! Also--happy late birthday! How the heck can you already be TWELVE?!?! Our family officially no longer has any primary aged children. That's weird. 




Dear Abby, You are such a super trooper! Thanks for coming and being happy while backpacking with us, even though you more than slightly dislike it. Thanks especially for talking to me out on the log by the lake on Thursday night. You are one really cool kid. And feel free to have a hard time sitting up on a tree any time you want--it made me laugh so hard that I could barely stay standing.


Dear Ka'Ka, I hope that you're not on the verge of cannibalism. I would like my hands to stay attached to my wrists, not in your mouth on the way down to your stomach, but you seem to think otherwise. I'm glad we were able to resolve this difference of opinion, however, and that I arrived home with my body still intact. You know, our family never got a boy, but you do a really good job at filling in the 'annoying brother' position. Spitting, biting, poking, jumping, sitting, screaming, tickling...I'd say you're building yourself quite the fine resume. Feel free to add me on the list of references, though I think Emily might be more able to testify of your abilities.


Dear Emily, You're an awesome running buddy. I'd go on an adventure with you any day. Thanks for your example. I'm so more than extremely super excited to live with you next year. It's gonna' be the best!


Dear Mom, Thanks for always going on day hikes with us and for playing games and being optimistic and awesome. I love you so much!


Dear Dad, You are amazing. Thanks for all your planning and preparing and helping and loving. You're the best dad in the world!


Dear Aunt Janet, Having you along for our trip was the best. Thanks for sleeping in the tent with me and for staying up at night to talk with me. I'm glad you're a part of our family.


Dear Lillies, Thanks, as always, for coming along and sharing the joy. It wouldn't be a backpacking trip without you!


Dear Nuffers, Thanks for stopping in on Wednesday and for bringing us ice cream! It was such a pleasant surprise to see you all!


Dear Weather, Thanks for clouding and thundering and lightening-ing and raining and raining and raining. Plus a little bit of sunning. But mostly raining. We had to cancel backpacking the last 12 miles of our trip, hike it out instead, and then drive the cars up to bring us home, but it was still fun. So even though you altered our plans, I loved seeing you and feeling you and breathing you.

Dear Utah Friends, This is what I mean when I say Washington is green:

Make any more sense?

Dear Family, If the above didn't say it all, this is why I love you:


No comments:

Post a Comment