Wednesday, September 17, 2014

On Giving and Receiving Service

By: My Grandma Sorensen

What is one of the most meaningful times when you've been able to serve someone else?

I think the most meaningful service I have been able to give over the years is the service to my family. I have always been blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom. I have always been able to be there when the kids came from school or whatever, and been able to answer them when they would come in the door calling: “Mom—MOM!” not necessarily needing anything, just wanting to know if I was there.

I loved cooking for them and having a hot meal together every night. There were some time when we were not all there, then I would fix a plate and put it in the oven so they could have it when they got home. They knew there would always be something for them. Bread making day was always fun. Especially when it came out of the oven just as they came home from school. Kenneth always looked for the little piece of dough I would save for him.  I loved canning for them. We would do several bushels of peaches and pears. Most of the time it was a family affair and everyone would help. We would pick, clean and snap beans together so I could can them. It was always a great feeling to go into the storage room and see rows and rows of food.

I won't ever forget what we came to call “our strawberry summer.” Grandpa would leave for work. Our garden was at the end of the driveway. He would look at it and come back in and say: “Looks like a few berries are ready, you better pick today—there aren't very many; it won't take too long.” Then the kids would go out and pick and pick and pick. We have never had berries like that before or since. But oh, I was able to make all the wonderful jam we wanted. Our garden was huge—at least as long as your backyard and half as wide. We would usually work in it together and then play games in the yard. We played all kinds of game. The yard was big enough to do anything we wanted.

I loved to sew for the kids. As long as they would wear homemade things. Steven used to sit on the floor by me and sew all the scraps together in a big long line. I like to think Susan is the seamstress she is because we sewed so much at home. She would get tired of waiting for me to get to something for her so she started very young to sew for herself.

Not long ago, when we were recalling old times Steven mentioned how nice it was that I would get up and cook the breakfast before they would go fishing. I had never really thought of it as anything extra. It was just something I liked to do.

I hope my example and service has been a help to my children in their homes. I must have done something right because they all love to come home and that makes me feel wonderful.

What is one of the most meaningful times when you've been served?

I have received so much wonderful service in my life it’s hard to choose. A couple that come to mind are: First my Mom. My sweet, sweet  Mom. Mom didn't like to travel. She interfered just to stay home. However, she was always there for me when we welcomed a beautiful new little spirit into our home. I always had a really hard time being in the family’s way. I would be so sick and throw up the whole 9 months. When Steven was on the way, and I was just as sick as I had been for Kenneth and Susan, I remember Grandpa asking me if I hadn't learned how to do it better yet. I remember lying on the couch being so sick. The phone rang and it was my Mom wanting to know if I needed her help. I told her I was fine and would be okay. I guess I wasn't too convincing because the next day she called to say she was coming. That was one of the most warm, nonfattening calls I have ever gotten. She came on the bus. Remember how I told you she didn't like to travel. This is how she came:

She put on three dresses (light jersey ones), a jacket, and she put her garments in her purse. She didn't even carry a suitcase. When she got here, she was wearing the only shoes she had brought. It just so happened she had put on one brown one and one black one at home and didn't notice. Another time during a layover on the bus, she was walking around a little. She needed to use a rest room. She went into a little dress shop. When she left she bought a blouse because they had been so nice to her. For her to make those trips for me is love and service above and beyond. I will never forget.

The second is from Janet*. After I had my stroke, she gave up her home and her life to come home and take care of Dad and me. I really don't know if I would still be here if she hadn't. I have always felt I could do anything regardless of how I felt. If I didn’t feel good just at that moment, I had to push a little harder. Not this time. I just couldn't. Janet came and took over. When she saw me doing things I really shouldn't she put a stop to it. She saw to it that I took care of myself and didn't push. I now have a very bad heart that is very painful. If I overdue I pay for it by being kept awake at night or by being in terrible pain in the day. When she sees me doing too much she puts a stop to it right now. She fills in all the places that I can't anymore. She tells us she is her for the long haul. She is going to stay and take care of us as long as we are around. Now that’s service—putting yourself and your life and your plans on hold for someone else. This is something we can never repay and are eternally grateful for.

*Janet is my aunt, Grandma's youngest daughter

(Memory emailed to me on June 13th, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment