Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My Connection to Grandma Sorensen


I feel a special connection to Grandma Sorensen because I get my middle name--Maureen--from her. I feel the power in Helaman's words to his sons: 

"Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good. Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them." (Helman 5:6-7)

When I first studied this scripture several years ago, I discovered a great desire to be a better person so that it could also be said of me that I do "that which is good" like the person I'm named after--Grandma Sorensen. As I have come to know her better through interviews I've done with her over the past year, however, her stories and testimony ignite within me an even greater desire to be good and live the gospel. It's amazing how humbled and willing I feel to improve after I read one of her emails or after listening to the interview I did with her and realize that I'm the descendant of someone truly amazing.

I hope that if she were ever to come to me in a dream after leaving this life like George Albert Smith's grandfather did, and were to ask: "I would like to know what you've done with my name," that I could respond as President Smith did: "I have never done anything with your name of which you need be ashamed." When I know I can give such a response in this occasion, I know that my life is on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment