Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Testimony on Prayer

By: My Grandma Sorensen

My testimony of prayer has changed greatly over the years.  It has gotten stronger. I mean really stronger. I feel prayer is now the anchor of my testimony. It gives me such a warm comforting feeling to know that Heavenly Father is only a prayer away. I find that I not only talk to him night and morning but ALL day long. No matter the situation, I'm constantly asking Him for help, thanking Him for his help or asking for guidance or forgiveness. I have had prayers answered so quickly it is almost scary.   Other times I have wondered if my prayer makes it past the ceiling. At those times, I know I'm the one not doing something right and as I pay more attention to what I am doing and get closer to My Father in Heaven the answer will come. I have learned that the answers He gives me are the ones that are best for me even thought they might take me a while to accept.

One very special experience with prayer had to do with your Mom. It happened so long ago I don't remember all the details, but your Mom, out of the blue, started running a very high fever. She was about 18 months old. It was late in the afternoon. We called the doctor only to find he was out of town and was going to be gone for several days. We lived in Shoshone where we didn't have a hospital. I remember getting very upset because the doctor wasn't there when I so desperately needed him. We called the number that we were told was the doctor that was going to stand in for him. To our great surprise, he said he would come to the house. Our regular doctor would never have done that. I remember praying so hard for help. Your Mom had started to turn blue around her mouth. I even put her on the bed and blew air into her mouth. When the doctor finally arrived, which seemed like for even when it was only a few minutes, to our Great surprise we found out he was L.D.S. He checked your mom over and said he thought she had quick pneumonia. She had been fine the day before.  He and grandpa gave your mom a blessing (which would not have happened with our regular doctor).  The doctor wanted me to have your mom checked out at the hospital which was 37 miles away. We decided Grandpa would stay with the rest of the kids and I would drive Barbara to the hospital. As we drove, her breathing was so shallow I could see her chest going up and down. I had to pull her close enough to me so I could put my finger under her nose and feel the air coming out. That's how we made the trip, my finger under her nose and me praying like I have never prayed before. We finally got there and the doctor there felt like our doctor had make the right call, but they wanted her to be checked for spinal meningitis. The tests were negative. After getting some liquid and medication and watching her a few hours, we were free to go home.

The reason the Dr. wanted you mom checked for spinal meningitis is a whole other story. Like Paul Harvey used to say, “Now for the rest of the story.” The day before you mom got sick the kids had friends over to play. These were kids that they had known but had moved away and had just moved back, so they were all excited to see them.

We found out a couple of nights after the play day that our Bishop’s son had died suddenly of spinal meningitis. The kids that had come for play day—kids we hadn't seen for over a year—had been with the Bishops son just the day before he died. Spinal meningitis is very contagious and everyone that had been anywhere around the Bishop’s son had to get a shot. So of course, when your Mom got so sick right after these kids had spent the day with us I was sure she had spinal meningitis. Of course she didn’t. It was quick pneumonia like our wonderful stand in doctor thought, but let me tell you that it was a very long car ride to the hospital. One I don't think I could have made it without being able to plead with my Heavenly Father all the way. This  experience is just one of the many tender mercies I have received from my Heavenly  Father through prayer.

(Memory emailed to me on May 10th 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment