Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Memories of Her Mom, Olive Ann Roundy Brown

By: My Grandma Sorensen

Mom had many skills. She was the bookkeeper for my Dad’s business for years.  This was when she had a house full of little ones. She was the world’s number one genealogist. She spent hours and hours finding those on her line and then she did Dad’s. She helped countless people in Logan do theirs. She was always lending what she had done to cousins. She spent a lot of money to have people search out her line in other countries. She spent days in Salt Lake at the library. She learned to read Danish so she could find more names. I would give anything to see her here now with all the wonderful tools we now have at our fingertips.

As kids, we always looked forward to our Christmas break from school. Not just for the time away from school and the always exciting visit from the Jolly Little Man in the red suit, but for the time we knew we would have to spend with Mom. Every morning when we got up she would say, “Okay. As soon  as we get the house cleaned up we will play games.” Boy, you never saw beds made, dishes done (without the aid of a dishwasher), and the floors cleaned so fast in your life. Mom was always true to her word. From the minute the cleaning was finished she spent the whole day with us playing games. We played rook and all different board games. We played for fun. Everyone had a great time without argument. We had every game you could possible want, and we loved them all. As I watch your family playing games on Sunday afternoons it reminds me a lot of the time I spent with mom.

Mom had a great sense of humor. I remember one day Mom had been cleaning all morning. We were all sitting up to the cupboard for lunch. As we were sitting there, Mom poured us each a full glass of cold milk to have with our sandwich. As she pulled up her chair to join us she said “Now everyone be very careful and don't spill your milk, I just scrubbed and waxed the floor.” When she turned to pick up her sandwich she knocked her glass over and milk went everywhere. She laughed ‘till she almost cried. We all joined in on the fun.

Mom was always a lady. She always wore a dress and always looked very nice.  In fact, the only time I saw my mother in pants was the day she went horseback riding with my dad and members of a riding club he belonged to. She didn't care for the horse ride. I don't ever remember seeing her in pants again.
Mom was a scriptorian. When her presence wasn't needed somewhere else, you would find her reading the scriptures. She could answer any question you had.

Mom was always loving and kind. She treated everyone the same. I can't remember her ever saying anything unkind about anyone. As she got older and we were caring for her in our home, Janet made the comment: “Grandma may not know what’s going on, but she is still the sweet loving person she has always been,” and she was ‘till the end. I am so grateful for the wonderful mother my Heavenly Father blessed me with. For the wonderful example she was and still is to me. One of the greatest things she taught me was to accept every calling you were given and to work as hard as you could to make it a success. She was always busy doing her church jobs and never complained about what was required of her.

(Memory emailed to me on May 19th, 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment