Tuesday, March 19, 2013

7th Grade Basketball

When I was in 7th grade, for some crazy reason I decided to join the girl's basketball team. I think it was probably because the 7th grade volleyball coach convinced me (she was also one of the 7th grade basketball coaches). It was like the precursor to seminary. Because of limited gym space, the 7th grade team got to wake up and have practice around 6am every day. In the winter. When it's dark outside. And cold. And wet. As the season went on, I began to realize how much I really didn't like waking-up at 6am and even more how much I didn't really enjoy playing basketball. I sucked. Our second game of the season I made my first 2 points of any game. They were also my last. As these realities became increasingly evident to me, I decided that it would be a good idea for me to quit the team. I approached my mom to tell her.

"You can't quit," she told me.

"What?! But Mom--I hate it!"

"Too bad. You committed to something, and you're going to see it through."

Needless to say, I wasn't too happy with Mom. Regardless, I did, as Mom "made" me, finish out the season. I don't think I've played a basketball game since then (and that was 8 years ago).

Even though I didn't much appreciate it at the time, today I'm grateful that my mom made me stick to doing what I'd committed to do. I feel like that bit of tough love has made me into a much more dependent, hard-working and responsible person; which I'm grateful for. In a world full of people who think they are entitled to things and who want the easy way out, I think we need a little more tough love. Though it sucks at the time, it makes you into a better person in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment