Sunday, April 9, 2017

Of This I Am Certain: God is My Loving Heavenly Father

People of all religions and faiths around the world believe in some sort of higher power. Generally, people believe that this higher power created the earth, is powerful, and should be respected and worshiped in some way. I believe all these things in regards to God in my religion—The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. One thing that differs from the way I view God from many other religions, though, is this: I believe that God is my loving Heavenly Father. 

Let me clarify what I mean when I say that God is my Father. I have an earthly father whom I love very much, but this is different. What I mean is that I believe what the apostle Paul taught in in the Bible, which is that God is “the Father of our spirits” (Hebrews 12:9). In other words, I have an earthly father who is the father of my body and my father here on this earth. In addition to that, though, I have God, who was the father of my spirit before I came to this earth, and who still watches over me as a father today while I’m here on earth.

Seeing God as my Father, rather than just as a powerful being, makes my relationship so much more meaningful than it would be if I just viewed him as a god. I don’t see God as some disinterested, third party who created me and then left me to be, or who is constantly mad at me for being less than perfect, or who puts up with me because I am here and put the time in to worshiping Him. No. That is not what I know of God. Instead, I see God as a being who loves me. Who cares about me and wants what’s best for me. I believe that because I am God’s daughter, that makes me special to Him. He knows me personally and intimately and wants me to return to Him some day. Because of this, He is invested in me and my life. My successes make Him rejoice while my sorrows make Him mourn.

Believing that God exists toys with the mind; believing that God is our Father touches the heart. My life is more full and joyful when I recognize and feel the love that comes from Him, and I know that such will be the case for any person that does the same, for we are all His children.