Saturday, November 12, 2016

Thank You, Jon Schmidt



The very first time I remember being impressed with Jon Schmidt was when I was in high school and I heard his song "Love Story Meets Viva La Vida" on Youtube. At the time, I was impressed with what I thought was a neat song, and then pleasantly surprised when I realized that this guy was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints like me. I had no idea that in the coming years, this individual would touch my testimony and bless my life in many ways.

The first time my testimony was strengthened by Jon Schmidt was my freshman year of college. On the eve of their Piano Guys days, Jon and his friend, Steven Sharp Nelson, came to BYU to perform. Amid a rough freshman year, this concert was a ray of light. That evening I laughed, cheered, and teared up from the uplifting spirit in the room. I realized that Jon wasn't just a good musician, but that he was a good person, using his talents for good things. That evening I wrote in my journal that I was "so grateful for [his] sacrifices so that [he] could be the vessel that God and Jesus Christ use to make their children happy." At that concert Jon Schmidt helped me feel that every good thing comes from God, and he also planted within me a desire to, like him, use my talents to bring others closer to Christ.

Several years later, I was again impressed with the character of Jon Schmidt as The Piano Guys participated in a face to face event for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Though what all the members of this group said was inspiring, Jon's words stood out to me the most. As he spoke about being a husband, giving his life over to the Lord, and always being connected with God, I felt my own testimony and faith grow. After watching that video, I walked away pondering on the thoughts he had shared, and felt a desire to be good and faithful like him. Again, this stranger's life had touched mine.

And now, a little less than a month ago, my testimony has been strengthened one more time by the Schmidt family. When I heard that their daughter, Annie, had gone missing in the woods in Oregon, I was shocked. I began to pray in earnest morning and evening for the recovery of this girl whom I didn't even know, but whose father had touched my life so much. I just wanted the family to have closure. I just wanted them to have peace.

When at first rescuers couldn't find Annie's body, Michelle Schmidt, Annie's mom, shared this beautiful testimony:

"We have been unable to find our sweet daughter’s body at this time. But these things we know. We know that Heavenly Father has heard the countless prayers and combined faith exercised by people literally all over the world. We know He has heard us, and if He choses to not show us where to find her, then we trust that there is a purpose in this. We know we are in His hands. We know He loves us and everyone who has reached out in such kindness and support. We can feel peace in putting our lives in His hands and pray that His purposes will be fulfilled in this whole experience."

As I read these words, I realized with gratitude that the Schmidt family was giving, as Jon already has for years with his music, everything over to the Lord. Even something as personal and heartbreaking as losing a loved one, they were using as an opportunity to proclaim to the world that God lives, is real, and loves us.

This morning I discovered that searchers believe they have found Annie's body. Once again, I read the testimony the Schmidt family posted on the Piano Guys blog, and once again I was touched.

I know I will never meet Jon Schmidt or his family, but just because I will never meet them in person does not mean that I do not feel an extreme sense of love and gratitude for them for how they have blessed my life. Their Christ-like examples, testimony, and faith have touched my heart and drawn me closer to Christ.

So thank you, Jon Schmidt, for all that you and your family do, believe, and are, and know that in addition to bringing people good music, that you have also brought strangers like me closer to Christ. You are an amazing example of someone who lives a consecrated life, and an example I hope to follow.