Wednesday, May 13, 2015

She Remembered My Name

Saturday I was walking in the produce isle in WinCo when an old lady who had just walked past me whipped around and exclaimed: "Lindsey Rogers!"

It took me a moment to place her face, but after a couple of seconds I realized who this lady was...one of the women who had served in the stake Relief Society presidency when I had been a Relief Society president in my single's ward over two years ago! We talked and said hi for a couple of minutes and then went our different ways to continue shopping, but for the whole rest of my shopping experience I couldn't stop myself from beaming and feeling warm and fuzzy on the inside. Two whole entire years later, and this dear older lady still remembered my name! And it's not like we even saw each other a whole lot when I was serving.

I learned a lot from this lady yesterday about how to really magnify a calling. It's not about to-do lists or activities or percents or meetings or lessons; it's about really loving those I serve and making sure that they know it. Even after my time to serve in a position is over, my responsibility to love those I served never will be.

It would have been so easy for this lady to have seen me and gone on her merry way without saying hi to me. After all, it has been two years since we've seen each other. But instead of putting her head down and avoiding eye-contact while shuffling past me (like I feel most people do) she reached out and said hello. In that moment I felt God's love for me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment