Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Home Teaching with Jon

Yesterday Jon asked me to go home teaching with him.

(Sidenote For Those Who Don't Speak LDS Lingo: home teaching is a program the church has where the men in the church get split into pairs and then assigned several families to visit each month. It's our way of looking after each other and making sure that everyone's taken care of!)

I said: Sure, I'll come home teaching with you Jon!

And so we went. The visit itself was fantastic! The five minutes before was awesome too, but in a very different way. I think it's a good example of what being married to Jon is like. This is how it went:

We park in front of the family's house. Jon goes to get out of the car.

Me: Wait! Shouldn't we say a prayer first?

Jon: Eh, I guess.

Me: You're supposed to! (Okay--so I admit: no official church handbook says you're "supposed" to say a prayer before home teaching, but I've heard from lots of people that it's a good idea!)

Jon: Not necessarily...

Me: I'll say it.

We fold our arms, bow our heads, and close our eyes.

Me: Dear Heavenly Father, please forgive Jon for being so grouchy about wanting to say prayers before going home teaching, and please bless me for being so awesome and righteous for wanting to.

Jon: HEY!

Me, laughing: Please be with us as we home teach and let us have an enjoyable visit. We say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

We get out of the car, Jon making some remarks about the inspired words in my prayer, and then we start heading towards the house.

Jon: Oh...

Me: What?

Jon: I parked on the wrong side of the block. The house is over there...

Commentary: What Jon means here is that he actually parked on the wrong block all together. Did I mention that it's raining?

Me: Are you serious?!

Jon, laughing: This is what you get for your prayer!

Me, (Ignoring the previous comment): Come on! Let's run! I'm cold!

We start running. We get to the next block over. After going to the wrong house, going around to the one next to it (which was also the wrong one), walking accross that person's lawn, realizing that we're on the evens side of the street and not the odds, and running accross the street, we made it to the right place.

Seriously, guys--we could have walked to their place from our house and it would have taken less time. But the visit was great, and Jon is too, and I'd be willing to run around looking for his home teachees' place in the rain with him any day. Good thing that it's too warm to snow in May and that it doesn't snow much in Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment