Friday, June 13, 2014

The Fred and George Approach

I've been listening to "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" this past week at work. The scene wherein they visit Fred and George's joke shop for the first time made me laugh. In huge, bright letters hanging in their front window is a sign that says:

"WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT 
YOU-KNOW-WHO? 
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT 
U-NO-POO--
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION THAT'S GRIPPING THE NATION!"

I love Fred and George. They know how to not take life too seriously, and that a laugh fixes many sticky situations.

This past year has been a trying, stretching, growing one. I was faced with the decision of whether or not to marry Jon--the biggest choice I've had to make in my life! Consequently, there were many periods of serious consideration and reflection. When things got stressful, though, and answers weren't easy to come by, anxiety and worry seemed to overtake my life. I seemed unable to find any sense of peace of sanity because I was constantly plagued with the idea of having to make this life-altering choice. Looking back, I realize that I worried and thought too much. Yes--it was stressful when the answer didn't come immediately, (a whole nother story for another day) but I believe that stressing and worrying just delayed them even more. The Spirit wasn't able to speak to me and I wasn't able to find any clear path because my brain was just so muddled with anxious thoughts. If I were to do it again, I would take more time to slow down, set decision aside at times, and just have fun. I believe that doing so would have given my poor brain the rest and rejuvenation it needed, and I would have been able to come to a conclusion sooner.

Lately, I've been trying to live life with a more Fred and George approach. I work hard and make to-do lists and think of serving others and preparing to be a teacher and finalize wedding plans, but I also try to stay more aware of my stress level and sometimes just put everything aside to merely go have some fun. To play. To laugh. To enjoy life. Life is a serious matter, but that does not mean that we have to always be serious minded. Sometimes it's better to laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment