Saturday, June 28, 2014

Sundance Concert and Hiking Date with Jon

The past couple of days have been absolutely wonderful, last night in particular. After working, running, going to the temple, and talking to my sister Kate on the phone; Jon and I went on a date! For the first part of the date we went on a short hike along a trail past Vivian Park and Big Springs. I love being outside in the woods! That's what we talked about for about half the hike--about how we're excited to run off on camping adventures on the weekends when we're married and about how excited we are to take our kids camping when the time for that finally comes. We ate dinner at our destination and then jaunted back to the car. From there we went to Sundance to listen to the Utah Symphony play at the outdoor theater there. After approximately five minutes at the concert, I came to a conclusion:

ALL CONCERTS SHOULD BE PERFORMED OUTSIDE UP IN THE MOUNTAINS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE BEAUTIFUL WOODS.

Especially if it's the Utah Symphony and they're playing "America the Beautiful" and the spacious skies and mountains majesties are literally right in front of you and the love of your life is laying down on the blanket next to you and you're just sitting there, taking it all in, and thinking about how much the Creator loves us to have made us such a beautiful earth. I usually fall asleep at symphony concerts because of the uncomfortable chairs and the dim lights, but when it's outdoors on the grass in the middle of the woods, it's the most relaxing, comforting, soothing, enjoyable thing ever.

At one point during the night, my eye caught sight of one of the huge cabins nestled among the trees on the hillside and I started thinking about how neat it would be to be a movie star or some rich person so that I could easily go visit beautiful places like that. "But I don't need a huge cabin," I thought. "I can go off and enjoy places like this with just me and my little self."

I paused for about five seconds as the play in my words struck me. I had meant that I didn't need anything else but myself to enjoy beautiful places like those woods. I realized, though, that I wouldn't be traveling through life enjoying them by myself, but with My Self--with Jon Self. This thought immediately brought a smile to my face and I felt so grateful that I won't be enjoying life's beauties and weathering life's storms through life alone. Mr. Self will be there with me through it all--to share the good and the bad, no rich person cabin necessary.

I love outdoor concerts. I love cool last names. I love awesome dates with Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment