Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Lunches with Friends

I have had AWESOME lunches these past two weeks. Not because of the food (though there was a lot of good food!), but because of the people I've been blessed to eat with. 

Last week on Tuesday my amazing friend, Loree, and I took Phoebe to Pick-Quicks for some good ol' drive-in food. I love spending time with Loree because she's so good at taking care of Phoebe and because I can tell that she loves Phoebe very much. Phoebe loves her too! Every time Loree plays with her, Phoebe calms down. I told Loree to watch out...if I ever have a stressful night with Phoebe crying, I might be calling her for reinforcements!

The next day, Wednesday, Phoebe and I drove down to Chahalis and met up with my mom, Abby, Kate, and my second cousin--Louisa, and her new baby--Elodie. It was so much fun! Pretty much I showed up and the aunts and Grandm took over and Louisa and I only had to worry about holding our babies when they wanted food. This meant that she and I not only got a break, but we're able to talk and catch up, and it was so nice talking to someone else who is going through baby craziness like I am! It was a perfect afternoon.




Thursday of last week my good friend from teaching, Joy, came over to my place to eat and meet little Phoebster. After seeing me pregnant for months at work, it was really fun for me to get to show her what I'd been hiding under my shirt for so long! And it was just plain good to see her. I admire Joy for her relationship with God and her willingness to do His will. In a world of casual believers, it's refreshing to have a friend who lives her faith.

This week has been just as much fun as the last! This past Monday Phoebe and I had a picnic at the park with Jenna, a young woman from church, and her friend, Alyssa. Let me tell you--I am so glad that I had Phoebe during the summer so that Jenna was out of school and could come spend time with me and baby. This past Monday was mostly fun and games (Skip-bo, to be exact), but there have been other days when Jenna has come over to just hold Phoebe which allowed me to shower or clean or eat. And she's so good at it too! She tells me that she's thought about working with babies someday as a career in the medical field and I'm confident that she would be fantastic at it if that's what she decides to do.

Tuesday a woman I used to visit teach, Sharron, invited me over so that she could finally meet Phoebe and so that she could make me a yummy crab sandwich (a new dish for me!). It was great to catch up with her and her daughter, Diana. They are so generous and I'm grateful they are willing to share their generosity with me.

Wednesday this week I ran on over to my friend Meaghan's place for lunch. She had prepared some Indian food and it was delicious! I love Meaghan because she was the first person in Tacoma that reached out to me. When we moved here I was still trying to figure out the whole being married and making friends thing, and she made it easy. There have been multiple conversations I've had with her where I've walked away feeling lighter and like God cares. Yesterday was no exception.

Today I whipped up some squash soup and ran it over to my friend Carlene's for lunch. Carlene is one of my favorite people. She has a love for living and having fun that I hope I can have when I "grow up!" Since having Phoebe, we've gotten together about every other week to eat or work in her garden or to pick her blueberries or swap summer adventure stories. She has made the transition to motherhood so much easier because I know I have her help and support and friendship there to back me up just around the corner. Plus, it's so much fun to come over and help out on her land and get yummy produce from her garden! I hope that Carlene and I are able to continue spending the weeks together because For me it always makes things brighter.

For someone who was afraid that motherhood was going to be lonely, God is sure proving me wrong. How lucky I am to live a life blessed with so many people who love me! I'm reminded of a quote that I have hanging on my fridge:
"God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs." -President Spencer W. Kimball  

I know that this is true because I've seen it in my own life these past two weeks.