Saturday, August 22, 2015

Graduation


Last week Jon and I walked in our graduation ceremonies. 

WHOO-WHO! We made it!

Actually, it's kinda' anti-climatic for me. The last time I took what I consider to be a "real" class at BYU was about a year-and-a-half ago; it's just taken me until now to get the diploma because I had to finish my internship. But after a full year of being on the other side of the desk, it was a little strange being the student again. Luckily, I didn't have to take any tests or write any papers. I was fortunate enough, however, to get to sit through several BYU devotional-esc speeches during the ceremonies. 

Listening to these speeches reminded me of all the other talks and speeches I listened to during my time at the Y. When I was in college it was always wonderful, amid the craziness of classes and working part-time and homework and life, to take some time to be reminded of the bigger picture by attending the weekly devotionals. 

President Worthen speaking at graduation. His speech was my favorite!
And that's what the speeches given at graduation did for me too! They reminded me that education is the means, not the end. The means to work hard. The means to create. The means to self-discover. The means to serve. The means to become more like our Heavenly Father. The means to happiness. 

Overall, the ceremonies were pretty good. Having worked for two-and-a-half years in an advisement center while at BYU, I've sat through my fair share of graduations because running them was part of my job! For that reason, I made sure that when Jon and I were choosing when to walk for graduation, that we chose August. It's about half as long as the April graduation and there's only so many times that you can hear "Pomp and Circumstance" before you go a bit senile. 



The guy totally said my name wrong, though. "Lindzzaa Maureen Self..." he read, and I almost did a double take at the guy. Who misreads "Lindsey"? And I made sure to write it in really nice letters. Five minutes later, another "Lindsey" walked across the stage, and he read her name right, so I'm sure it was just a stumble on words. 

My mom took pictures of the screen when Jon and I received our diploma cases (they send the real thing in the mail). It was cool because one of Jon's favorite professors, Dr. Eide, handed them to us!



The best part of the whole dealio, however, was the time with family. Both Jon's and my family came into town for the event. Thursday morning before the ceremony we hiked Battle Creek Falls in Layton with my family, and that evening both families went to Jon's aunt and uncle's place for dinner. Friday after our ceremony in the morning, we went with Jon's family to Chuck O' Rama for lunch, hung out with them for a bit, and then that evening both families' went to my aunt and uncle's place for dinner. Good thing we have aunts and uncles in town! 

Battle Creek Falls:



The dinner at my Aunt Martha's house:

Cousins Nick and Michael
The Self gang!
Kate with Jordan photobombing in the background
At Graduation:






Family is what it's all about, and I was glad I could share the day with them. I was especially glad that my mom was there. Even though the whole finishing college thing seemed a little out of place, when I hugged my mom all the memories I had of calling her and talking to her on that campus when I was stressed or lonely or happy or bored or upset and every other thing in between came back to me for a moment, and suddenly, it didn't feel like it was just me graduating any more. Instead, it almost felt like it was me and everyone who helped me make it--my mom in particular--that was graduating that day. And then as I looked heavenward and thought of all the divine help I'd received as well, my heart swell with gratitude. What a tender reminder that no accomplishment is every achieved alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment