Sunday, August 2, 2015

Backpacking in Oregon

July was full of so many fun events and activities, first of which was my family's annual backpacking trip! We left for home on July 4th, went out to the woods on July 6th, came out of the woods July 9th, and came back to Utah on July 11th. This trip was particularly fun because it was Jon's first time going backpacking with my family. We loved having him there to tease!

We hiked a place called Herman Creek Trail, which we've done once before. It's uphill for most of the 7 miles in and super green and fern-y and tree-y--just the way I like it! Because of how dry it's been we weren't allowed to have campfires, which was a bit of a bummer. Also, there wasn't really a good place to swim, which was also kinda sad. But we still had a blast playing in the creek and hiking and eating good food and playing games!

I don't know how long my family will be able to keep up this tradition--what with more son-in-laws and grand kids coming within the next several decades or so--but I'm glad that my parents have kept it up and made it last at least this far. It's my sisters' and my favorite part of the year and I've had a lot of special and defining experiences out there in the woods of Oregon and Washington. It would be a fun tradition to pass down to my kids.

Before we started:

By a waterfall along the way:

Jessica!!!!!!

Jon caught a salamander:



Playing a game of Rook against the parents (they won....):

Jon and I went on a little hike! (Look at how scruffy he's lookin'!):


When we came here the first time, we found another tree like this one and took silly pictures on it. So of course, we had to initiate Jon into the club!

No comments:

Post a Comment