Monday, October 23, 2017

Overcoming Weaknesses

I know that I have a lot of weaknesses, and because I want to follow Jesus Christ, I’m constantly striving to overcome these imperfections of character so that I can become more like Him. In my strivings for improvement, however, I frequently forget one of the most important elements of overcoming weaknesses: I’m not intended to do it alone.

The prophet Jacob speaks of this in The Book of Mormon. He says: “Nevertheless, the Lord God shows us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things” (Jacob 4:7). It does not say that we overcome weaknesses by increased willpower. It does not suggest that if only we were to create a better plan for self-improvement, then we would finally triumph over our imperfections. While increase willpower and good plans help us overcome our weaknesses, alone they are not enough. No. It is “by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.” The power does not come from within us. It comes from Him, our loving elder brother and Savior.

What a fantastic reminder! Today I want to rededicate myself to relying on His redeeming arm more fully. When temptations come, rather than just trying to hold my ground, I want to hold my Savior’s hand. After all, two people working together is always stronger than one, especially when one of those people is Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment