Monday, February 16, 2015

The Story of Jon and Lindsey: The Second Date

As I previously mentioned, after our first date, it was all I could do to not find some way to spend every spare moment I had with Jon. I was trying to not be obvious that I liked him, but that pretty much failed. We were having lots of fun together, and I'm a pretty forward person so I didn't mind if he noticed I was falling for him (or let's pretend that I didn't mind). The only problem was that he wasn't asking me on a date! And I know I could have asked him on a second, but when you're kinda' clueless as to how the guy feels and you're the one who already asked him out on the first, you want him to be the one to ask you out on the second to see some reciprocation of feeling.

A few weeks after the first date, Jon and I were both at our ward's treat night (Ward Treat Night: Mormon singles ward gathering that occurs every Sunday night wherein sweets are consumed and members of the opposite sex stalk one another to find/wish for a potential date for the following Friday). I went up to him and asked him what his week looked like. He told me. Then, being polite, he asked me what my week looked like. I told him. Did I happen to casually make note in my brain that both our Friday evenings were free and that if he liked me he'd be smart and ask me on a date because that'd be the coolest thing in the world?

Naw. But for some reason, when my roommate later asked me on Monday if I was free to have a girl's night on Friday, I found it really hard to say yes (after all, you can't say "No, I have plans," when you really don't have plans, but are kinda' hoping that you will have plans because you happen to know that a guy you like could ask you out on that day if he wanted to).

Then Tuesday came, and Jon was helping me carry a microwave into my apartment and set it down on the counter where I wanted it and turned around and asked me if I was doing anything on Friday.

"Ah.....yes. Friday. Yes--I actually do already have plans then. Sorry, mate! Why? Did you need help re-configuring the plumbing in your apartment or something?"

That is what I should have said. Except for maybe the part about the plumbing. But that is not what I said. Instead, this is what happened:

"Hold on one minute." Lindsey whips her phone out of her pocket and turns around, her back to Jon. She calls her roommate.

Ring....Ring....Ring....

Roommate: "Hello?"

Lindsey: "Hi, Roommate! How's it goin?"

Roommate: "Good! What's up?"

Lindsey: "You know that girl's night thing we were going to do on Friday?"

Roommate: "Yeah."

Lindsey: "Could we possibly do it on Thursday instead?"

Roommate: "Sure!"

Lindsey: "Okay. Awesome. I'll see you when you get home then!"

Lindsey turns back around and faces Jon. "Looks like I'm all free on Friday! What's up?"

Luckily, he really did want to ask me out on a date and not just for some help with his plumbing. And so Friday came and we had lots of fun! It was simple: we just made some treats and ran them around to some people, but it allowed us to talk and get to know each other better. At the end of the night when we were wrapping things up at his apartment, he asked me to hold on one second and then went back into his room. Whatdaya know, but out he came holding a bouquet of tulips for me. "I just thought it was sad that you've never received flowers from a boy before," he explained, referring to a previous conversation.

I've never thought that rescheduling a girl's night could be a bad idea since, and looking at how things went from there, I don't know if I ever will.


Update: After reading this blog post, Jon was quick to remind me that once we started dating, I mentioned to him that I had touched his arm on this date and was impressed because of how big his muscles are. You can see that the details he remembers are slightly different from the ones I take note of. He is currently hiding under the coffee table with embarrassment as I write this, but isn't embarrassing your spouse one of the better parts of being married? Jon disagrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment